Monday, February 25, 2013

I'm not who you want me to be... Yet.

Every month I submit an article to our church newsletter, Oakleaves. I've decided to start posting them here. They don't really have titles, but I make up titles for them in my head.

This one is called "I'm not who you want me to be... Yet."


Most of the time I find myself thinking about life in a very selfish way. The things that I want, that I need, that I deserve. Culturally that doesn't rock the boat because everywhere we look we're told to watch out for ourselves. This is so much the norm that when we see random acts of kindness we are often shocked. As believers we understand that the world we experience today is not at all the way it should be, and sin has caused our perception of things to be tainted and broken. We see this brokenness in all aspects of our lives. Unfortunately it is often youth who suffer most from the brokenness of our world. 

Students receive input from social media, friends, teachers, the church, and their families. Most of you receive this same input but as an adult you are able to more easily discern the information you take in. As students develop they also gain the ability to clearly discern what they are hearing, but most do not perfect this until much later in life. As the brokenness of the world hits an adolescent, whether through divorce, heart break, addiction, or some other force, their response will nine times out of ten differ from yours. An adult may see divorce as the end of a love less relationship while their son or daughter may view it as more affirmation that they are unlovable. The conclusion isn't logical but that doesn't make the child wrong, it makes them misunderstood. As a church body we must care for the needs of our youth where they are at, not where we think they should be. They will mess up and make mistakes, but they will also surprise, inspire, and encourage us if we understand where they are coming from. 

I cannot become less selfish by trying harder. I can only begin to care for others more than myself by drawing closer to God. The same goes for our youth. I pray you find time in the coming months to encourage the students at Oakhill to draw closer to God as they struggle through a world filled with brokenness.

-Matt

No comments:

Post a Comment