Thursday, January 5, 2012

The Kingdom of Heaven

The Kingdom of Heaven is for...

The hypocrites.
The drug dealers.
The sex aholics.
The used.
The murderer.
The users.
The lost.
The degenerates. 
The pornographer.
The abuser.
The abused.
The abortion bound.
The alcoholic.
The 1 and the 99%
The popular.
The cutter.
The all star.
The no stars.

I've become so frustrated with the idea that to be a Christian is to be perfect. That when you accept Jesus you suddenly become a person who follows all the commands of God without stumbling. The only perfect person to walk this earth has come, gone, and has not yet returned. I am, or have been, many of the things on the list above, but it should not and will not disqualify me or anyone else from the Kingdom of Heaven. To make fun of someone for "failing" in their Christian walk is like telling a baby to not poop itself, and then when it does to spank it. The baby has to learn and develop a habit of not soiling itself. In the same way, we must learn to grow in our faith with the hope that we sin less - knowing that we cannot stop our hearts completely from turning from God. 

I feel physical pain thinking there are people in the world who believe that their choices in life have disqualified them from experiencing the bliss that will be/is Heaven. I feel even worse when I realize that the Church is often the one telling people they are disqualified. 

I am a hypocrite. I say with my mouth that I love God and want to follow his commands, and then moments later I turn my back on him and seek the desires of my heart. I'm not proud of being a hypocrite, but it is a reality of my walk with Christ, and if we're honest with ourselves, its a reality in every Christian's walk. Don't glory in your sin, but don't allow sin to remove the joy you experience from being in relationship with Christ.

Should you go out and party after Youth Group? Probably not.
Should you have sex outside of marriage? No.
Should you do drugs with your friends? Nope.


Will you be excluded from the Kingdom of God because you've done those things? Not. A. Chance. 


You are loved by a God who gave the ultimate sacrifice to inherit the most unfaithful people. 

May you revel in that love today, and may it affect how you live.

No comments:

Post a Comment