I love it because of the people who work there. When the pay at the pump system broke down I was forced inside to pay for my gas. The first time I made my way up to the window I was greeted by a woman who asked how I was doing, and what my plans were for the day. I was genuinely upset. How could this woman expect me to answer such silly questions when I was being terribly inconvenienced? Didn't she know I was late for a meeting and was only coming inside because SHE broke the gas pump I was using? She apparently didn't care about my dilemma and after I mumbled a response of "good... nothing" continued to chat at me until my card processed and I walked out of the store angrier than I could understand.
I realized this women was living a very different life than me. I spend a lot of time with high school students investing in them. Sometimes this investment turns into some great actions, and sometimes there isn't any response. I'll admit that I get disappointed when I hear stories about students that make poor choices. I often think "Oh man. Did they listen to anything I said?" or "We covered that last week!". In cases like this I view ministry like math where X is my effort, Y is the message, and T is the youth. I want it to work like this:
X(Y) + T = Christian lifestyle
But people don't work like math problems. Especially during a time in our history when people are more and more interested in living outside of social norms. That's a topic for another day though.
I often live a transactional lifestyle. I walk around looking to fulfill people's needs while fulfilling my own. During this process I try and avoid any unnecessary time or effort. Most people operate in this world. They want to get through the day without opening themselves up too much to outside forces while accomplishing their checklist of tasks.
A transformational lifestyle on the other hand revolves around living like each moment of our lives could cause change or growth in the people around us. It's showcased in the cashier from Speedway choosing to ask me what I was doing with my weekend instead of asking for cash or credit. It's visible in schools when students ask the "How are you?" question and care enough to go beyond the "ok" and "good" answers.
I am challenged to live this life on a daily basis by the words of Paul in the book of Ephesians 4:1 - "As a Prisoner for the Lord, then, I urge you to live a life worthy of the calling you have received." We are called to live transformational lives in all things, whether that is getting gas, fixing a toilet, or ministering to youth in our church. We add so much value to each other when we live this sort of life.
How can you be transformational in the life of your _________ today?
X(Y) + T = Christian lifestyle
But people don't work like math problems. Especially during a time in our history when people are more and more interested in living outside of social norms. That's a topic for another day though.
I often live a transactional lifestyle. I walk around looking to fulfill people's needs while fulfilling my own. During this process I try and avoid any unnecessary time or effort. Most people operate in this world. They want to get through the day without opening themselves up too much to outside forces while accomplishing their checklist of tasks.
A transformational lifestyle on the other hand revolves around living like each moment of our lives could cause change or growth in the people around us. It's showcased in the cashier from Speedway choosing to ask me what I was doing with my weekend instead of asking for cash or credit. It's visible in schools when students ask the "How are you?" question and care enough to go beyond the "ok" and "good" answers.
I am challenged to live this life on a daily basis by the words of Paul in the book of Ephesians 4:1 - "As a Prisoner for the Lord, then, I urge you to live a life worthy of the calling you have received." We are called to live transformational lives in all things, whether that is getting gas, fixing a toilet, or ministering to youth in our church. We add so much value to each other when we live this sort of life.
How can you be transformational in the life of your _________ today?
No comments:
Post a Comment